September 25 – 27, 2009
Dr. Martin Marty is the Fairfax M. Cone Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus at the Univsersity of Chicago, author of more than 50 books, winner of the National Book Award, and recipient of the national Humanities Medal. He served as senior editor of The Christian Century and has received 75 honorary doctorates including one from Willamette U. in 1974 and Yale U. in 1995. He is a speaker, columnist, teacher, and an ordained pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran church in America.
His visit is jointly sponsored by Saint Mark’s Visiting Theologian Program and Willamette University’s Center for Religion, Law, and Democracy.
While here, his schedule was:
- FRIDAY EVENING 7:30 P.M. – Public Lecture on Fundamentalism – Smith Auditorium at Willamette U.
- SATURDAY 10 A.M. – 3:00 P.M. – Building a Culture of Trust – Presentations and Question and Answer Sessions – at Saint Mark (Winter and Marion St. in Salem, Oregon) For lunch, attendees can visit the Salem Saturday Market (across the street from Saint Mark) or dine at a local restaurant – a list of convenient restaurants will be provided.
- SUNDAY 9:30 A.M. – NOON – Preach at the Worship Service and Teach at the Adult Forum
Watch his interview on Bill Moyers Journal about his recent book, The Mystery of the Child
Want to read some of his books? Try these:
- Speaking of Trust: Conversing With Luther About the Semon on the Mount, Augsburg Fortress Pub. – 2003 (ISBN – 0806649941 / 9780806649948 / 0-8066-4994-1)
- Lutheran Questions, Lutheran Answers, Exploring the Christian Faith, Augsburg Books – 2007 (ISBN – 13:978-0-8066-5350-1)
- When Faiths Collide, Blackwell Publishing – 2005 (ISBN – 1-4051-1223-9)
- The Mystery of the Child, Eerdmans Pub. Co. – 2007 ( ISBN-13: 9780802817662)
- The Christian World; A Global History, Random House- A Modern Libray Chronicles Book – 2007 ( ISBN: 978-0-679-64349-4)
Some of these books will be available for purchase through the Willamette University Bookstore on Friday and Saturday on site.